Vascular Access: A Lifeline for Dialysis
Hemodialysis requires surgical creation of a special blood vessel—a vascular access—to handle high blood-flow rates. Learn which access is best and why, and how to protect your access so it will last as long as possible.
Topics covered in this module include:
- Types of vascular access for hemodialysis
- Catheters—access for PD
- Deciding about an access
- Preserving access sites
- Venous mapping and venogram
- Access care: all types
- Using hemo access—the steps
- Needle fear and strategies to overcome it
- Self-cannulation and the buttonhole technique
- Access monitoring: bruit, thrill, and needle rotation
- Stenosis: causes and what to do
- Thrombosis: causes and what to do
Would you like to print this module? Download it here.